Fish keeping and similar hobbies

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
Here's my pond..
1.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG
some serious Koi there

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
Just had a bit of a disaster with my tank, fully cycled and running for 2 years. Carried out my usual maintenance and next day found several dead/dying cichlids. Managed to get everything back to normal with an additional water change and adding more surface agitation to get more oxygen in the water.

Really strange though, did nothing different to what I always do. There's a lot of water works being carried out to the camps supply, wondering if the water chemistry has changed, tested PH and nitrates etc and it all seems the same, water was treated as always and added gradually to keep the temps within limits.

Glad it's all sorted now but lost some larger cichlids that have been in this setup since the start, to replace fish at that size would cost me 80+ quid, luckily I bought them as juveniles and they have bread so realistically about a tenners worth. Still a bit gutted though and slightly concerned about the next change, I think more frequent smaller change will be needed for a while.

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Just had a bit of a disaster with my tank, fully cycled and running for 2 years. Carried out my usual maintenance and next day found several dead/dying cichlids. Managed to get everything back to normal with an additional water change and adding more surface agitation to get more oxygen in the water.

Really strange though, did nothing different to what I always do. There's a lot of water works being carried out to the camps supply, wondering if the water chemistry has changed, tested PH and nitrates etc and it all seems the same, water was treated as always and added gradually to keep the temps within limits.

Glad it's all sorted now but lost some larger cichlids that have been in this setup since the start, to replace fish at that size would cost me 80+ quid, luckily I bought them as juveniles and they have bread so realistically about a tenners worth. Still a bit gutted though and slightly concerned about the next change, I think more frequent smaller change will be needed for a while.

whats the gH normally like? if theres a gH or dH change and low oxygen levels this can be enough to knock out most cichlids, id say check for Ammonia in the supply (used at times to clean pipework) with soft acidic water it usually harmlessly changes to Ammonium (which is less harmful) but in hard alkaline water is stays as Ammonia.

ive seen a tank running perfectly fine then suddenly an ammonia spike arrives like the filter is knocked out, turns out decaying plant matter and plants dying off produces Ammonia, but it aint that either as its all calcareous rock you have.

My main tank is in the process of being drained/moved due to this at the weekend, the remaining tetras I have left are now in my 45L until the 180 is back up and running, time to start again from scratch, toying with red belly Acaras or firemouths (going retro!), or move my breeding blue map angel pair to the 180 and have more apistos in the 100L and 45L

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
Don't think it's ammonia in the Supply, I had zero when testing the tank water after a 60% change. Everything running okay now, I'll just check tank/supply chemistry before I next do a change

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
ive just ordered replacement light tubes, the Rios ones are shot tbh, went colour and nature this time, tanks being dismantled, cleaned out and redone on other side of living room, the high priestess has spoken, so that's this weekends job :p

cant decide if I should go Amazonia again or perhaps a diff biotope, Asian perhaps. gouramis and some cracking catfish :) cardinals and my bombproof glowlights are going into angel tank upstairs, once I move my plants up from the rio.

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
Gouramis are pretty cool... I had a pair of kissing gouramis fully matured and about 5-6 inches long that I'd had since fry. Had to get rid when I moved overseas and was gutted.

Reactions: Mandoscottie

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Gouramis are pretty cool... I had a pair of kissing gouramis fully matured and about 5-6 inches long that I'd had since fry. Had to get rid when I moved overseas and was gutted.
ye was toying with a couple pair of pearl gouramis, and a nice catfish or two Asia has so many to choose though, I would have another synodontis or a few Nigraventis, or I grow on some cardinals then move the angel pair downstairs instead of the tank upstairs. I do love my cardinal shoal 20+ is lovely. And the angel pair as the centrepiece the male smoke is now a good 5-6"" tip to tail and quite stocky, hes getting quite tame also.

ach I dunno lol

JumpMaster

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 17, 2012
Holon, Israel
If you can find them, true honey gourami can be awesome. With Synodontis, you have some interesting fish.

I personally prefer the south American fish.

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
If you can find them, true honey gourami can be awesome. With Synodontis, you have some interesting fish.

I personally prefer the south American fish.

yep gonna keep the Amazonia tank in the mancave I think.

Had a couple of synos before, had a hybrid lace synodontis when I was a young lad had him for years with a breeding trio of Convicts and had Syno nigeventis (true dwarf upside down catfish) in another tank. A small group of them would be interesting :) My syno I had as a kid was hand tame, he was a big lad :)

Lace Syno
lace-synodontis.jpg

Nig
19.jpg

JumpMaster

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 17, 2012
Holon, Israel
yep gonna keep the Amazonia tank in the mancave I think.

Had a couple of synos before, had a hybrid lace synodontis when I was a young lad had him for years with a breeding trio of Convicts and had Syno nigeventis (true dwarf upside down catfish) in another tank. A small group of them would be interesting :) My syno I had as a kid was hand tame, he was a big lad :)

Lace Syno
View attachment 997

Nig
View attachment 998

Aye, beautiful fish!!!

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
I'd much prefer a gold nugget pleco, but never seen one in any of my LFS.

gold-nugget-pleco.jpg

I have a Bristlenose Plec and a Cuckoo Synodontis in my Cichlid tank that help keep things tidy

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
I'd much prefer a gold nugget pleco, but never seen one in any of my LFS.

gold-nugget-pleco.jpg

I have a Bristlenose Plec and a Cuckoo Synodontis in my Cichlid tank that help keep things tidy
they have them in maidenhead aquatics at Saunders near me about £24 each

JumpMaster

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 17, 2012
Holon, Israel
A few photos

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419026283712.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419026283712.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 9
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419026303811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419026303811.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419026367395.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419026367395.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 7
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419026394945.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419026394945.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 7
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419026426164.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419026426164.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 9
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419026454883.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419026454883.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 7
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419026494648.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419026494648.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 8
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419026528488.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419026528488.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 9

Crotador

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 20, 2012

That's crappy news!

Did you notice some or all of them sucking at the surface?

I see this occasionally if I either change too much water, or the filter return isn't agitating the water surface enough. It is usually, but not exclusively, due to poor oxygen levels. As most Cichlid tanks don't have plants, cos they eat them, the only source of oxygen is from surface agitation.