BF4 Server Retirement Update

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
So as the news is now spreading about retiring our BF4 server I thought as BF4 Captain I should write something to explain why..

Since I joined the clan almost 5 years ago we have always had a Battlefield game as the primary clan game. Each time a new Battlefield is released we have run 2 servers, old and new. This window always bridges a gap while some people play new, some move on and some new members appear as we run the old version where others do not.

However it is inevitable that the old version will lose support, right now there are very few members playing on our server and even fewer that play regularly enough to get the server seeded and therefore become attractive to other players.

The players that do take the time to seed the server (clan friends N2S and some 009 included) often end up spending the majority of their gaming window not playing a decent game.

Given that a mere 5% (if that) of the clan play on our own BF4 server regularly it is not fair to use around a third of clan donations to pay for it.

When BF1 was released the staff promised to run the BF4 server while ever there was significant support for it.

The last few weeks have seen the server rarely getting populated to a suitable level, as one of the most regular BF4 players I am fully aware of how hard it is to get the server up and running. There is no trend to determine what makes the server attractive or not, no map changes can resolve this at this point in the BF4 life-cycle.

It will be a shame to see the server retired but we must be practical. All good things must come to an end, I and many others I'm sure will still be playing BF4, we have the TOGA Platoon in Battlelog and we can still squad up and play with other clan members while being tactical on TS. The advantage now being that we can find other servers that have the scale and number of players to have all out Battles on different maps and modes rather than playing the same rotation of infantry based small maps.

I encourage you all, clan members or friends to join in the retirement event being arranged by @SomeOldGit here

Caramoon

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 14, 2015
So where do we meet up for the funeral parade and is it in our no2 's and medals

Reactions: Quic

Foolwolf

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 29, 2014
Sweden
Sad to see it go, but since BF1, the games been fewer and far between as fun as it used to be. Not playing BF1 at the moment, so will see if there is a bargain for BF1 in the future that might draw me back in. Miss the folies! ;)

Reactions: coolcon2000

SomeOldGit

Match and social organiser
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Mar 28, 2010
stevenage
Dont forget to jump on the server this weekend also i think we will have it the weekend after as well for those who cant make it this weekend

I think 20.00 on Sunday

Last edited:

DeBuGti

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 16, 2013
i'll be sure to pop on for a few.. as long as you and me go to a TS room by ourselves.. away from the noisy lot ;)

Reactions: SomeOldGit

coolhand

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Sep 4, 2013
Bergen, Norway
To be honest, I am contemplating uninstalling BF1 and returning to BF4....

BF1 doesn't quite work for me. It is too much arcade, and the weapons feel to much like for me. There is something missing.... these days I play mostly PUBG and BF4.

And I am looking forward to Hell Lett Loose.

SubSonic75

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 22, 2014
Swansea Wales
you can easily mess around in BF4 then BF1

the other night in BF1 I couldn't hit a single person (probably due to I am rubbish at it lol) but I even get the drop on the player and he just ends up killing me

may uninstall bf1 and go back bf4 atleast then I can have fun with the Phantom Bow

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
I played BF4 for a couple of days last week and was disappointed with the amount of servers available. I guess it happens when a game gets superseded, everyone flocks to the new shiny.