60hz > 120hz > 144hz Screens

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
So, I believe Ryan may have touched on this in another thread...

Am I correct in assuming that if your gpu is regularly pushing 120fps in game, that there is a benefit to having a 120hz+ screen? Response time is 1ms...

My current screen is a 4k one but it's refresh rate is only 60hz.

Thoughts, as always, appreciated :)

TommyJay

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 4, 2014
There's almost always a benefit to having a higher refreshrate on your screen. Even if you don't get a solid 120fps all the time :) The game will seem smoother on higher refreshrates.

Reactions: Zero

Ryan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 23, 2015
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
If your pc renders 120fps then there is no performance increase by doing 120hz monitor.

The benefit is on your eyes by providing a cleaner and there for sharper image so it means your more likely to notice things during fast pace.

The performance really comes from the frame rendering as thats when the data is generated, the hertz is essentially how many times your monitor is being told to clean the screen completely.

Imagine you have 400 sticky notes that have an image drawn on them that when you flick through them fast they move and the faster you go the smoother the image looks.

The drawn image is the data and the "flick" of each note is the refresh rate of your monitor. The data is already there and waiting to be displayed but the faster you flick through the notes the clearer your eyes see it.

The monitor is similar.

In a strange way there is a performance increase but thats for your eyes to see it so the performance increase matters within yourself :)

I will also tell people it depends on your budget. Get the framerate over the hertz on a monitor but if money isnt an issue then get both! :)

Hope this makes sense, typing it from my phone at work haha.

- Ryan

Reactions: TommyJay and Zero

SomeOldGit

Match and social organiser
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Mar 28, 2010
stevenage
i have the same monitor Andy
i used to get 60 fps but played with the in game settings and changed the resolution scale to 50% now i get 180+

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
For FPS - 2560x1440 (WQHD) @ 144Hz low response time with G-Sync (or Freesync for AMD) on a 27" monitor is where I believe everything comes together.

I've looked at 2560x1440 on 24" monitors I don't really see much difference.

3840x2160 (4K) with G-Sync exists but not at higher refresh rates as far as I know. Until they do 4k gaming is pointless for FPS as far as I'm concerned.

I also have my own reservations about 4K gaming when I normally always turn my in game settings to low for a more competitive online gaming experience anyway!

Acer do a Predator 27" G-Sync monitor with 2560x1440 @ 165Hz, IPS @ 4ms response but it will set you back > £600!

In comparison Dell do a 27" G-Sync monitor with 2560x1440 @ 144Hz on a TN panel @ 1ms response for ~£450.

Tweaking of settings on most better TN panels can have them looking just as good as IPS.

Reactions: bricktopz

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
Thanks Matty

Still looking into this. I just read here that the HDMI from the GPU needs to be version 1.3 or above for 144mhz screens. But I can't find any info about my GPU that says what version it is....any idea where to look?

Ryan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 23, 2015
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
I would just fling any hdmi cable in and give it a try. To be fair i thought dvi would of been capable but ive never had any experience with anything higher than 60hz (except my tv which is 1000hz)

I would look at your monitor manual as thats probably guaranteed to tell you what cable will give you 144hz.

TommyJay

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 4, 2014
Not sure about HDMI supporting 144Hz, but DVI-D and DisplayPort are sure to support it. Most high refreshrate monitors also support these connectors, or in case of G Sync monitors, they only do DP.

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
As Thomas says, Display port is the way to go, you 980? should have one and is now becoming the more common adapter.

The Display Port can transfer far more data than HDMI can hence it is common to use for QWHD,4K with G-Sync/Freesync etc.

For 2560x1440 @ 144Hz you need Display Port 1.2.....
Display Port 1.2 is also the minimum for 4K @ 60Hz.