Battlefield 5 - Back to the future or back to the past?

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

coolcon2000

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 15, 2014
connerclutsom3d.wordpress.com
So, Battlefield is, of course, happening. We now have a year it will be released - 2016. So later this year! There is little that is known about it however, other than it has been in development since the release of Battlefront last year and that it will be a "fun, new Battlefield. That will be a return to a Battlefield military-style game; more to come on that" as said by EA CFO Blake Jorgensen. Still not letting anything out of the bag in terms of what to expect from the franchise other than that they think BF4 and Hardline were less of a military style FPS game than previous entrys in the series.

Does this mean we shall be seeing a return to World War II which would give us completely different vehicles and planes to control and different weapons to use? Are we going to be in the present day but have a more slower paced Battlefield where we would need to think about shots, placement, etc. before acting, akin to Arma? Or is it simply EA & Dice trying to build up hype for just another Battlefield? Alas, only time will tell before details are revealed.

Until then, comment on what you would like to change in the series. Would you like a battlefield back in world War II ( or I) era? Would you like it to go the Black Ops route and have jet packs and mechanical tanks and such (Battlefield 2142 anyone?). Would you like the series to stay in present time? Let us know!

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
I would love to see a WWII setting.

On the other hand, there has been a lot of wars since WWII, like Vietnam, Sudan civil war, Congo, Burma, Angola etc. Why not change the scenery to those parts of the world?

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
I would love WW II as always, but I doubt they'd go back there. Looking at the younger gaming generation it might be too boring with the "authentic" less powerful weapons of that time (no offense meant!). COD5 was the last one for large public, recent ones are unfortunately more niché after all, even Heroes of Stalingrad series.

If they have jet packs in new BF, I refuse to buy it! They belong to Black Ops and let them jump there :)

On a side note, I'm still waiting for Rising Storm: Vietnam. Total silence after the release announcements?

coolcon2000

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 15, 2014
connerclutsom3d.wordpress.com
I would love to see a WWII setting.

On the other hand, there has been a lot of wars since WWII, like Vietnam, Sudan civil war, Congo, Burma, Angola etc. Why not change the scenery to those parts of the world?

I am not too up to date with the FPS genre, but Vietnam would be an interesting, not actually played Bad Company Vietnam and I don't think I have played a single FPS game based in Vietnam, so yea, I would vote this as well.

Rising Storm: Vietnam

Nope, tripwire and the internet has been very quiet about that, which is either a very good thing or a very bad thing.

RuntimeTom

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 12, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I think the current Battlefield has most of the good pieces found and available in the game so I hope they don't change it too radically. I'm probably also with the group that hopes BF will be fine tuned to a bit more competitive direction. It doesn't have to mean only 5vs5 CS GO style game modes but just ditching most of the random no-skill weapons from the game (such as AC-130 and cruise missile (maybe also commander). Also, it would require well designed maps with no levolution gimmicks but good 'organic' destruction, realistic weapons with sufficient recoil, no 3D spotting, and generally a good pacing (not too high or too low TTK, running speed etc.). And definitely no hero-type elements like in Battlefront. They are game-breaking. Just put all the players to same level and provide environment with enough tactical depth and weapons that are easy to learn but hard to master. That's it in my opinion.

Bl@ckthorn

Head Admin
Staff member
Recruitment
Tactician
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Oct 27, 2010
Bury England
i agree with most WWII for the win (pleeeeeaaassseeeeee)

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
...I'm up for some crouch only zero:excited:

As a matter of fact, a crouch server event for TOGA & friends would be something special! Haven't played on a crouch server after we had to end COD5. (We did have a crouch event or two in some game though, must have been Home Front?) A fairly small map in BF and crouch only TDM, wow... That would be nice! :)

But the admins wouldn't have time to play at all. All their time would be spent yelling "Crouch only!" and kicking the runners. :lol:

Reactions: Quic