Battlefield News - Hardline - Thoughts?

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Will you buy Hardline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
bf46.jpg

So Battlefield Hardline Beta was released on 03 Feb. The download is around 11GB and gameplay is available until the 08 Feb so get in quick if you want to have a bash!

"The open beta will let you try out three different multiplayer maps and modes. First off, Hotwire mode brings high-speed chases to the Battlefield, as the criminals attempt to steal a list of marked cars while the cops try to repossess them. Available on two maps in the beta, Downtown and Dust Bowl, success in Hotwire will require excellent teamwork and precision driving.

The desert town of Dust Bowl known for its drug trafficking problems will also be playable onConquest, the fan favorite Battlefield mode, which takes the battle up to 64 players. Finally, there’s the Bank Job map where you’ll get to try out Heist mode. The criminals are trying to break into a bank vault, but the cops are doing their best to stop them. Which side of the law will you ride with?"

Plenty of people have had a go with mixed opinions, as you would expect from a Beta.

Here are my views but don't take my word for it, try it out for yourself!

Personally I think it looks great, the Dust Bowl map is stunning and the weapons seem more realistic, but the game feels slow in action for Conquest and Heist modes.

The Hotwire mode really isn't my cup of tea, give me a traditional Battlefield tank any time of the day!

When switching back to BF4 from Hardline it feels like you are playing a far superior game that runs noticeable faster. My biggest problem with the game is the characters, annoying constant shouting of '5 O' every time someones spots the enemy for example irritates the hell out of me!

The game is what it is but I'm disappointed and the beta certainly isn't enough for me to buy the game at release, there certainly isn't enough to justify the cost of buying a new game and subsequent DLC.

Strange thing is that if I was to look at the game completely neutral with no Battlefield experience or bias then I would probably enjoy it more.

This leaves me in a predicament though, I only ever really play one game at a time and I am a massive Battlefield fan, but if I don't get Hardline then will BF4 be sufficient until Star Wars Battlefront at the end of the year which is the next game I pretty much know I will buy?

coolcon2000

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 15, 2014
connerclutsom3d.wordpress.com
My "First impressions" of the game is that it is better than I expected it will be, and making sure I do not compare it to BF4 has reinforced my love for it. It stands as it's own game quite well I think and I really enjoy the new game modes (Heist and Hotwire).

Heist, I think, is a fresh take on the game modes such as Rush. Feels like Payday the Heist and the film Heat, and that is not a bad thing. With good communication (either via the game or Teamspeak) you can have tons of fun and is a good game mode to get to know your way around a map. Without communication, however, the game mode lacks the fun aspect of it and become a bit of an annoyance.

Hotwire. Man. I love this game mode. Me and DeBuGti were playing this for a few hours into around 12:30am and then again with some of you just yesterday. I found that when the opposing team does not just place C4/Breaching charges on the road but actually chase after you the game changes drastically. Chasing a car while leaning out your window firing the m420(?) is just simply fun. The game slows down when you are not in a car and I think is meant primarily to be played in cars. Even playing it with just myself in a public match was great fun.

I am opposire of you MattyD. I love the new shouting the characters do and I find it hilarious, especially when the sandstorm of dustbowl comes in and they are shout "OOOooooooohhhhhh, What the &*@$!".

As I said earlier I wouldn't compare the game to BF4, so I won't but I will bring up something I was debating on the BF4 reddit and that is the Destruction of the game compared to BF4. This is what I said -

I don't mind of the lack of destruction. I like to think of Hardline as a spinoff of the Battlefield war franchise, like the Flash is to Arrow. Set in the same universe, but two different TV shows in many ways. I love not leveling a map with no cover.

For eg, at Hotel in Dustbowl I love the fact the you have to shoot across the carp ark into the other windows to kill the enemies, rather than blow a hole in the wall or collapse the hotel. Its more of a "Ok, I am the cop, gotta clear these rooms.house one by one" rather than "Ok, I have a rocker launcher, gotta level the house". So yea, I enjoy the lack of fully destructible structures, else the game will be another Battlefield 4.

People complain that Hardline will be like a "DLC/expansion" and yet people complain that they want the destruction from BF4? I am afraid to say that Hardline is it's own game which means that we have to accept the fact that we will play Hardline to get away from the the destructive and war side of Battlefield. Also, have you seen cops level a small town before?

Basically, to me, I am not comparing BF4 to Hardline. They are in the same universe, but Hardline can stand it's own and after a day of playing it, even with the bugs/glitches (this is beta), I am falling in love with this game, and I am glad I am.

So basically, I really enjoy hardline and I am glad that the beta has made me want it. However, I voted Yes on the Poll,. ybut I will not be getting it straight away. Primarily because I have no job to be able to afford these things but also because BF4 launch left a bit of concern about DICE/EA launches (not that I regret spending £60 on BF4, still love the game). the same will go for Battlefront I imagine, as I am not that big of a star wars fan (even though Battlefront 2 is fun)

Anyway, enough of me. See you guys on the Battlefield, 4 and Hardline.

(P.S - they need to do something about Cheaters, Hit Reg (again!) and those damn Snipers!)

I've played a lot of battlefield, basically every PC-version from release day. I have gotten used to the vast amount of things you can use to your advantage (Tanks, buggies, heli's, jets, weaponry, squads). However, after playing a few hours of Battlefield Hardline Beta, I came to the following conclusions:

It does not feel like battlefield, I feel like I was playing a 64-people Counterstrike Global Offensive or Call of Duty. The weapons (recoil) feel off, the blurry effects are just weird in my opinion. I did not have a sense of progression or a clear target at any time. The whole cops and robbers thing just feels fake and chaotic. Cops running around uncoordinated, criminals doing the same. At the same time, there are helicopters shooting at everything that moves. The guns feel way to big for a cops and robbers game.
nine out of ten times, I got killed by a criminal with a scout-sniper, weird.

The positive things, however cheesy at times, are the criminals and cops shouting. Although it does get repetitive and a tad annoying after one round. Also, like coolcon said, I like how it's a non-destructive map, it fits the situations pretty well.

I agree with MattyD, with the exception of Star Wars Battlefront, although GTA-V will do too!:
"The game is what it is but I'm disappointed and the beta certainly isn't enough for me to buy the game at release, there certainly isn't enough to justify the cost of buying a new game and subsequent DLC.

Strange thing is that if I was to look at the game completely neutral with no Battlefield experience or bias then I would probably enjoy it more.

This leaves me in a predicament though, I only ever really play one game at a time and I am a massive Battlefield fan, but if I don't get Hardline then will BF4 be sufficient until Star Wars Battlefront at the end of the year which is the next game I pretty much know I will buy?"

Long story short: It's a game I feel like playing every now and then, for 15/30 minutes. This game couldn't hold my attention for more than that amount of time. It's much to CS/TF2/COD-ish for me. I voted maybe, because at a certain point I will buy it for sure, but maybe when it is way cheaper than it will be at release...

m0jo

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Apr 4, 2014
If my memory serves me right, I'm pretty sure Star Wars Battlefront is console only :(

Reactions: galroniii

coolcon2000

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 15, 2014
3rd Paragraph here says it will be PC, PS4 and XBox One. They don't quote anybody though so they may be speculating. Now releasing Battlefront for PC would be a huge mistake I think.

Edit- yea, I meant "Not releasing Battlefront for PC is a huge mistake."

Last edited:

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
3rd Paragraph here says it will be PC, PS4 and XBox One. They don't quote anybody though so they may be speculating. Now releasing Battlefront for PC would be a huge mistake I think.

I couldn't disagree more mate, xbox one, PS4 and Windows platform is the same development platform, not releasing Battlefront for PC makes no sense at all. DICE announced it was 3 platform support (next gen consoles and PC) on the first news conference about battlefront from E3 2014. ;)

I played the first beta of hardline and while it was stable and looked pretty, it just felt like a poor imitation of a BF mod or a cs:source type game, I got bored after 10 minutes tbh.

not one for me ill be playing GTAV until battlefront.

Hardline/Battlefront will suffer from the same issues on launch as Bf42,2142, Vietnam, BF2, BF3, Bf4, BFBC2 etc etc its the DICE way!

Last edited:
Reactions: six-shooter

coolcon2000

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 15, 2014
I couldn't disagree more mate, xbox one, PS4 and Windows platform is the same development platform, not releasing Battlefront for PC makes no sense at all. DICE announced it was 3 platform support (next gen consoles and PC) on the first news conference about battlefront from E3 2014. ;)

Ah, I mean't Not releasing Battlefront. Damn keyboard......

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
No dice, sorry. It's just drifting too far away from what I expect from a fps game. Instead I'm waiting for the classic maps to be released in BF4, hoping to see some indoor action, or at least smaller city maps, again. :)

Reactions: SUPASTARR

coolcon2000

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 15, 2014
No dice, sorry. It's just drifting too far away from what I expect from a fps game. Instead I'm waiting for the classic maps to be released in BF4, hoping to see some indoor action, or at least smaller city maps, again. :)

Karkand, Sinne and Ziba Tower and I will be happy. (Heck I would be happy with Karkand and Ziba. As long as Karkand is there. Need a Karkand levoution event!)

NePa5

New User
Jul 5, 2010
Leeds, UK

Already done the "classic" with BF4,if you want the cqc then hardline is what you want(it is like a cross between BF and MOH),this is much closer combat,please don't ask for them to be mixed into the same,that is what has ruined BF in general.

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
Already done the "classic" with BF4,if you want the cqc then hardline is what you want(it is like a cross between BF and MOH),this is much closer combat,please don't ask for them to be mixed into the same,that is what has ruined BF in general.

Not really CQC but LARGE indoors for me, like Metro and Locker. They'll give you a chance to play Medic, support your teammates while not getting killed from a 360-degree radius and from above lol. There you can really STOP for a while without dieing in an instant. -Additionally there were some really good BFBC2 outdoor desert city maps also, small in comparison with BF but still very playable without CQC style. Don't remember the names though.

Last edited:

RedHotJohnson

New User
Jan 31, 2015
Admittedly, I've not spent a huge amount of time with Hardline yet, but from what I've experience, I'd happily pay for it to be DLC in BF. Paying full price for it? It simply doesn't offer a different enough experience to warrant that kind of outlay.

NePa5

New User
Jul 5, 2010
Leeds, UK
Not really CQC but LARGE indoors for me, like Metro and Locker. They'll give you a chance to play Medic, support your teammates while not getting killed from a 360-degree radius and from above lol. There you can really STOP for a while without dieing in an instant. -Additionally there were some really good BFBC2 outdoor desert city maps also, small in comparison with BF but still very playable without CQC style. Don't remember the names though.

ah,that makes sense.

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
For me It just feels like a mod that's not done well. I can't believe DICE have created it! The maps look poor compared to BF4, as do the HUD graphics and everything else.

No way would I pay full price for it or even £25 via cd keys tbh.

I'll give them 5p and a rubber button :)

Other than that, it's great lol

MoosePiss

New User
Mar 31, 2014
It is a good laugh!
Only when our combined FILTH does any game become fun! I'm with zero on the point of its a quick rushed mod and won't be buying it unless someone buys it me:D I'm holding out for GTA 5 which hardline seems to be a copied smaller version

RuntimeTom

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 12, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
My thoughts

- Quite fun, but I still like BF4 more. Military theme is more interesting than cop/criminal theme
- Too fast time to kill. If they slow it down, would be much better. Luckily at least XFactor thinks so too, so probably this will happen :)
- Graphics felt more sluggish than in BF4 (might be because of beta). Also player models are uglier than in BF4 and a little cartoonish.
- Poor weapon balance, but this will probably get better, of course.
- Sniping is waaaay too easy. Even I did multiple head shots in a few minutes of playing the class. It's so stoopid to die in the middle of a good fight to a sniper bullet from miles away when you know skill is not required.

However, I still give it 70% change of becoming bought by me.