Battlefront 2; My Thoughts So Far

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
So I’ve been playing this – not religiously like I would a new Battlefield game, but a fair amount considering work means long hours right now. I thought I’d give anyone interested a few of my thoughts.

To start with, I like the fact that its Star Wars. Never played a Star Wars game before (except that The Old Republic MMO one which I didn’t like), and this game really goes a long way towards duplicating the films.

I dislike that its not more like Battlefield. I don’t know why they have changed how the game works, maybe its more to be like the console games, and as I didn’t buy Battlefront 1 I don’t know how much of a change this is, however the lack of in-game text chat is a bit disappointing.

I like the way they have done the squadding up, where when you die you respawn in a squad of other recently dead team mates with bonus XP available if you stick together.

On the other hand I don’t like that you cant squad up with your own mates (as far as I'm aware), only join the same server as they’re on. This is a moot point as none of my mates seem to be playing the game anyway (me = billy no mates)!

I love the graphics and am amazed that my semi-ancient PC can handle the content and present what to me is a beautiful experience. At the start and end of each round there’s a short cinematic scene that kind of rounds up the episode you’ve played. I’m sure I’m quite a bad player as my K/D ratio is frankly depressing and I'm often at the bottom of the score table, however part of this is also due to my spawning and running around looking at the scenery and animations rather than being tactical.

I’m undecided whether I like or hate the Hero characters. Basically if you get enough points in a round then you can unlock and play as one of these (or a ship, walker, etc). My problem is that so far I’ve managed to unlock Chewbacca a couple of times but I cant see myself being good enough to unlock any of the rest of the Heroes in a round. Couple this with some very good players on the other side who have an unholy playing ability, and I am often on the sharp end of Yoda’s, Darth Maul’s or some other buggers light sabre without a chance in hell of surviving. Death against these is often so fast you don’t even know what hit you until you see the “you were killed by….” Screen. So yeah I live in hope that I’ll unlock these but deep down I know better and that I’m just “sabre fodder”.

Loot crates are available rather like the Battlefield unlocks of old however these seem more tailored towards opening abilities in your character (or Hero, when available). Currently I don’t think I’ve even reached Level 7 and I’m playing against opponents who are much higher than me and who have 3nr of these loot cards applied. I’m not sure how much of a difference these cards make to a character…I mean in a face off I’m probably going to die anyway as I’m old and slower and a much lower level, so adding some card boosts probably doesn’t make a lot of difference. Eventually, in a few weeks or so I guess all players will have these cards and that will remove this as any possible bias.

Space Battles! I wanted to mention these specifically because…well…space battles! Amazingly, flying with a mouse and keyboard is quite simple as opposed to other space games I've played. On the down side you are just one of many other fighters and sometimes there's so many that hitting something / anything is simple. On the minus side, that means you could be easy prey. I’ve found it best to hug the hull of the battle cruiser where possible as you tend to blend in a bit and pop up to shoot opponents as and when you can. Its not infallible, and can get a bit crazy with dogfights all over the place but that makes it so much more enjoyable and exciting.

Overall I'm really enjoying it. Sure, its not Battlefield 1, 2, 3 or 4 but I dont think it should be viewed condescendingly because of that. Yes it could be better and is probably not some peoples cuppa, but y'know you cant have everything in this world so I'm having fun for now and will probably do so for a few months more too I think.

Clown

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 14, 2015
Wales
Only good thing about the first Battlefront was the graphics, especially the Endore forest level.