BF3 - Aftermath - Update

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
homepage_news_bf3_4.png

Update: It''s getting closer, so here's some more info on the Aftermath expansion pack, directly from the horses mouth. This is DICE level artist "Pontus Ryman" bit on the new map. These Snippets are copied from the original Source blog: HERE

A good read in my opinion, hopefully not all hype, if you have the time follow the link to the original blog!

With Aftermath having a post-earthquake city theme I was eager to take what had been established in the single player campaign and bring that into our dynamic multiplayer environment. Just like in the previous expansion pack Armored Kill, the environments in Aftermath are a feature in themselves. You can get a sense of what I mean in this environment flythrough that I created specifically for our blog readers:
Shaking the players
To push the theme even more, I wanted something unique in the level that really was specific not only in comparison to the other maps in the expansion pack, but to all other multiplayer maps in Battlefield 3.
In the single player experience you get to play as an earthquake goes off. I absolutely loved that and wanted it in Epicenter as well. I really wanted to bring it close to the player and not only be heard in the background. I decided to take the audio and trigger setup for an earthquake shake from one of the single player levels into Epicenter as a test, and it worked better than expected. With help from the audio team, effects artist and designers, we turned this idea into a full level specific feature, where the player gets to experience an ongoing aftershock while in multiplayer.

EC_08_small.jpg

Introducing Urban Exploring
Another element that I personally feel strongly for is exploration — A city that gets hit by an earthquake creates a different landscape that opens up for a lot of exploration. A broken pipe in the ground becomes something you can crawl through; a rift in the street becomes a protective trench; and a pile of rubble becomes a makeshift staircase that takes you to the next level inside a building.
I also wanted there to be plenty of additional paths for players to find. There are a number of places where players can destroy specific doors to open alternate routes. These routes can be very handy when trying to flank enemies or if they want to avoid confrontation. By breaching these destructible doors, players can transition into an interior environment and find new areas that are clearly differentiated from the outdoors.

EC_03_s_small1-640x360.jpg

EC_04_small.jpg

EC_01_small.jpg

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
Me to Stun, I'm hoping those tremors mean you're more likely to miss me in game!

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
Aftermath sounds very good! I'm into small maps in general, and I especially like the city maps instead of the recent huge BF3 maps. Will definitely give this a go :) -But I hope the city maps are not the size of Karkand :o-53:

Kello

New User
Aug 29, 2011
ill enjoy it coz everyone will be running round with crossbows = easy pickings:excited:

oh and keep up the good work Matty ;)

SpaceMunkeyUK

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Aftermath is looking very sweet, was hoping for ziplines with the crossbows, man I miss seeing someone use a zip line and cutting it, enemy or not, that zipline got snipped!

But just think guys, Aftermath is bringing real innovation (completely random tremors) so what is End Game going to bring, it has to be something amazing I reckon :D