BF4 News - Want to help DICE make a map?

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
bf46.jpg

So we're all still waiting out for news on the next DLC from DICE but know that we're liklely to get some new maps, or rather old ones re-engineered for the Frostbite engine.

There is also another big game patch coming in March.

In the meantime, fancy helping DICE create a new map? They have just announced a new community project....

Thanks to 'TheLinq' for sending this over to me!

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
I probably keep on playing bf4 the next few months.

Foolwolf

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 29, 2014
Sweden
Tompen :) Heh heh - brings back memories when they had office in Göteborg :)
I would prefer a map generator or builder for making your own maps - and if I had the time to go help them sure. Used to love making maps and stuff for games - but now aday - I prefer spending time playing.

Sparky

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 9, 2014
BF4 for me Could never get into the GTA swing of things but who knows?

MoosePiss

New User
Mar 31, 2014
I just wish they would release the engine so people could create their own maps and submit them for whitelisting so they can appear on ranked servers.

totally agree!!

When games are given level editors and ways of creating custom content it breaks away from the main stream games that are brought out of the same genre and become a more enjoyable game through the custom content. I can't see this happening with BF4 as its more of a money making game and no doubt we may have to pay for these additional maps in the future and as far as helping DICE to create a new map I think I'd pass because the overwhelming arguments that will be happening on there forums.

coolcon2000

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 15, 2014
connerclutsom3d.wordpress.com
Update to the Community Map Here

Basically:-

The project is currently in the concept phase, as illustrated below in the roadmap. To complete this first step, we need your help to decide on things like map location, setting and themes before we head into production of the map.

After launching this project we’ve received many great concepts, ideas and feedback. The level of contribution from you has us even more excited about this collaboration! Unsurprisingly, everyone’s idea of the perfect map is different, but by reading through and absorbing the CTE forums and Reddit posts, we’ve identified some clear trends.

Urban vs. Rural Settings

One of the most asked for settings could be summarized as “urban”. Urban – as in bigger cities and towns – is something that doesn’t fit within our High Level Framework.

The term “terrain based” used in the framework was meant to disqualify urban concepts and we want to clarify why.

Urban maps are rigid, expensive and performance heavy. This means we would have to spend much more time optimizing content instead of perfecting it for gameplay and balance. It also makes it much more difficult to have consistent and good destruction, purely based on performance and memory. An example of an “urban” map is Siege of Shanghai.

In contrast, a “terrain based map” (Golmud Railway is an example of one) is our internal way of describing a rural map, mainly featuring terrain and free-standing buildings. This type of map is immensely flexible and easy to work with, allowing us to make bigger changes faster and to iterate more on the map based on your feedback.

Choose a high-level setting

The idea is to gradually narrow down the concept, going from a general to a more specific understanding of what the map will be. Through internal meetings, we’ve identified popular concepts, grouped them up, and ended up with this top three:

• Jungle
  • Desert
  • Mountain
It’s time to make your voice heard in the first official community decision for this map!Hit the link below to access the poll and pick your favorite setting from our top three.

Community Map Poll #1 – High Level Setting

I am Pretty sad/disappointed they couldn't make a Urban map, was really hoping that they would be able to, I wanted more city maps :(