Fish keeping and similar hobbies

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
lol Matty :)

Me and my bitches, bloody decades ago, apologies for the hair!, giz a break it was 1989! Id kill to have that much hair now hahahah I got the starting of a monk cut going on!

ap10_056.jpg

Reactions: Legless

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
wonderfull set ups
I would love a new tank, my 4ft is still in the garden, no good now but still there
my 2 dauters have small tanks with guppys etc

I was looking into getting a new tank ( I regularly do) but we want to do it properly and get a maidenhead aquatics oak set up, so it is a nice piece of furniture.

then set it up with African lake Chiclids, which I have allways wanted having kept the usual fire mouths, oscars, Texas Chiclids etc even had a red devil for a few weeks (aptly named bad tempered bullys they are.
but those tanks are way above my budget atm, fingers croosed for the lottery

once kept Mozambique mouthbrooders, when I was a teenager and they grew at an amazing rate and started to breed, they wiped out the tank killing all the other fish.

lessons learned the hard way

I reckon a birthday pressie of a smallish reasonable tank is deserved mate ;) why not go nano

I bought my mum this nano shrimp set (30l) for £40ish for chrimbo, sponge filter, grolux overhead lamp, glass top cover, heater@26C just add substrate, décor, plants & water shrimp/small fish.

Crotador

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 20, 2012
My missis has just bought a breeding pair of Kribensis for a Nano tank we had doing nothing. When they do breed it means we will have to get a bigger tank though.

For those that don't know, Kribensis are one of the few fish that protect their fry and even transport them around in their mouths.

Reactions: Mandoscottie

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
nice one dood, ask away mate, always willing to help.

came home after a lovely night away up near Oban to find 2 of my other endler females have dropped again, got another 30+ fry less than a day old (as well as about 12 mid sized sub-adults starting to be sexed, great! Now have to move the older young to a 3rd tank heheh currently breaking that one to the missus. :p

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Ive discovered im a granddad tonight (not counting the endlers who wont stop breeding!) Ive found a baby Peppered Corydorus, my adults have been laying eggs like its going out of fashion for months, finally one must have hatched, by the size of him/her compared to the big female in the pic, he must be 2-3 weeks old :D suspect there may be more ive not yet spotted :D aint easy in the jungle in main tank :)

baby cory MM.jpg

My Endler/shrimp tank filling up rapidly. Note the small flecks you see in the tank are all young!
tank week3mm.jpg

And a macro shot of 2 of my Cherry Shrimp shooting the breeze
cherrysmm.jpg

Reactions: westonwarrior

vengeant

New User
Mar 4, 2013
These tanks look brilliant ... and smartshots you must have beens sick as a parrot to lose that 'reef'.

Congrats mandoscottie :grandpa: , came a grandpa myself last year, though the wee one can't be kept
in a tank (much to has mum and dad's sorrow :lol:)

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Wee update, I now can confirm I have 3 new Corydorus young in the main tank. These photos are shot at macro mode on my phone.

As hes about the size of the tip of your pinky finger (from 2nd knuckle to fingertip) compared to the adult size of 2-3" long of this variety of the Cory genus.

baby1.jpg
The "pebbles" you can see is the sand substrate! :) (honest!)​
shrimpies.jpg

To give you a sense of scale the cherry red shrimp (looking like a female) is approx. 2cm long and my new additions are "Golden Bee" Shrimp from Asia and much smaller.​
Also got a half dozen black banded "Bumble Bee" shrimp but they quite shy still and don't come out to the foreground like the other species, they are approx. same size as the Cherries.​
Also apologies for the all the sticky white gunk in the 2nd shot, fooking Endlers are spawning yet again and its all the males surplus jizz.......thank fook I don't use a manual water syphon anymore LOL! ewww deerty gits.​
Having to syphon the substrate & extract 15% of the water daily atm........​
Gotta love Macro mode :p
Next own projects into nano-tank aquascaping,, refusing to go CO2 injection though, ill stick to my trusted feeding/lighting cycles (Sea Life Easy-Carbo & Profito plant foods, 8-10 hour lighting a day dependant on PAR of lighting) going LED lights this time.​
Going 40L and aquascaping with a twist, going biotope for Sulwesi Shrimp (from Indonesia).​
Caridina-dennerli.jpg

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
DSCF4710_zps2d07e275.jpg

My tank after a couple of weeks.
plants are growing the bogwood is tinging the water and softening it
the fish are zebra danios and are very lively
hoping to get some Rams for it eventualy

Rob

Reactions: Mandoscottie

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Looking good weston :) the sands effective and is crying out for Echindorus Tennalus to creep over it :) when you get a mo pm me your addy matey and ill sort out a pile of tennalus motherplants for you. Im due to thin them out this weekend.

Against the lighter sand/tennalus once it grows over something like a wee shoal of peppered corys or similar panda corys would be a decent clean up crew and still leave the options open for shrimp if you fancy it, try the cherrys (buy 6-10, if they are happy they breed like rabbits), and easiest to look after if you are thinking about it having some inverts. ID add more danios tbh they mostley top dwellers and will fill it nicely with activity. The Nerite Zerba snails he has are a good size and cracking additions to help with biofilm. the do enjoy hiding on and in the driftwood.

Mid swimmers plenty of tetras etc would fit the bill say half dozen to 12 Neons or even better cardinals (my centre fish tbh in main tank)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5X-CHERRY...2?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item41516f4196

^ that's who I get my shrimp from as does my mum , great company to deal with. got some lovely fish too next day courier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GALAXY-RA...8?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item41544c87b2

^ those celestial danios I was telling you about.

Currently trying to figure out how to accommodate either a green phantom plec in big tank but retain my bristlenoses. £40 though or a Starlight Bristlenose, but im thinking the latter may not be a good idea with the breeding pair in there already.

$T2eC16JHJGoE9nuQeV2lBROOBPQd3Q~~60_12.GIF

$(KGrHqF,!oUFDCbMNoueBQyPLzQ!TQ~~60_35.JPG

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
As the tank matures I will add more livestock gradualy I do like the look of the Celestials.

Tomorrow I will be getting either some more danios, catfish, tetras or something