Fish keeping and similar hobbies

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

DeBuGti

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 16, 2013
that's totally wicked man :) looking forward to more progress pics :D

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
20140608_222604.jpg
^Mum n Dad protecting the eggs.

20140608_222614.jpg

^ the mum.

20140608_211759.jpg
^Dad full display

Ironically in the 3 pair I have (3 of each variety, smoked and blue map angels) I have no same type pair, all cross type :( and exactly 3 male 3 female it turns out lol 2 male and 4 female would have been better tbh one pairs gonna have to go from big tank

Last edited:

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Bloody cichlids 《grumble grumble》they cleaned up the lot! All gone. Probs with all the display threats by the male that caused it, ill put the towel up when they start to clean the egg laying spot next time.

It was their first spawn so quite common. I can maybe work in the tank now without being headbutted or my fingers nipped! Cocky fecker he is, all the other males make a run for it when im in the main tank. That fecker in their own solo tank atm is a different story

Last edited:

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
They've spawned again today in the same spot......bugger there goes a water change this week then, levels are fine. Ive popped a big black towel around the tank and left the lights on see what happens the next couple of days.

DeBuGti

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 16, 2013
Nice Mando! Well I've finally found out I had a massive issue in my pond, we had seagulls always going there when none of us were in. Swimming around in the pond etc... So the netting is all over it now and it's working a treat!

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
Nice Mando! Well I've finally found out I had a massive issue in my pond, we had seagulls always going there when none of us were in. Swimming around in the pond etc... So the netting is all over it now and it's working a treat!

Surely netting destroys the appearance a bit doesn't it?

Have you considered automated mini laser or plasma turrets mounted strategically around the pond?

DeBuGti

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 16, 2013
I know it does spoil it a tad :( but it's the only way I can afford to do it at the moment :)

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Aint a happy bunny. Found mr apisto today looking like hed went 7 rounds with tyson...ive moved him to the shrimp/recovery tank but tonite hes just alive....time to get the clove oil out and euthanise the poor lad i fear....i hate this part of fishkeeping. Thats the last straw tbh the angels are going up for sale from main tank the alpha pair upstairs can stay in the 125l.
Lynseys gutted he was always her favourite.

I think its time to rescape the 180.

The dominant male downstairs starts to harass everything except cardinals, pencils and the glowlights. theyve wittled down my adult silver hatchets till last one passed away on sun too.

Crotador

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 20, 2012
the males are sooo territorial once they are mature, females aint any bother, only way to tell is when they pair up and develop the male lumpy forehead and their attitude.

Ello boys!!

Yep, they are Cichlids at the end of the day... very aggressive when they want to be.

Well I have more cichlids than I know what to do with now... Have been putting the babies in the spare tank and when they grow to an inch or so, back into the main tank.

Got to the point where I have two very full tanks now.

Got a real algae problem in the small tank, due to lack of plants. I put a couple of tiny Siamese Algae eaters in there and they have cleaned it in a week... and tripled in size too.

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Ello boys!!

Yep, they are Cichlids at the end of the day... very aggressive when they want to be.

Well I have more cichlids than I know what to do with now... Have been putting the babies in the spare tank and when they grow to an inch or so, back into the main tank.

Got to the point where I have two very full tanks now.

Got a real algae problem in the small tank, due to lack of plants. I put a couple of tiny Siamese Algae eaters in there and they have cleaned it in a week... and tripled in size too.

hey crotty! :)

aye was at my LFS today picking up some Seachem supplies, flourish and flourish excel, I get 25% discount so it equates to the cheaper easy carbo but miles better :)

Mr Apisto is looking better, couldn't do it last night, kinda glad i didnt as he moved to far rear of the tank when I came into the room tonight, least hes moving again.

Im taking 2 pairs in on sunday for store credit, got 9 Sterbai corys reserved usually 2 fer £10 so ill proly do a straight swap for the Adult breeding 2 pairs Ive got, keeping the alpha pair in a separate tank upstairs for them and a pim pictus cat I have coming next month. got some slate from quarry just behind wher ei live so going to make up a slate tunnel for back of the tank behind the manita wood for Mr Pictus.

Corydoras%20sterbai.jpg

Last edited:

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
main tank looks so bare now without the angels, ive started to plan a rescape around the wood, replanting and restocking also.

Going to move my glowlights upstairs a the weekend, Kris has offered me a deal on the entire shoal of Sterbai but before discount its £90 fer 20 sterbai! I reckon I could neg 25% off even though, its still a lot of £ toying with just 5 pair, maybe 6.

My last remaining breeding pair of angels upstairs have spat eggs out and fertizd them again, this time on side of filter....

Hes got double flame red Agassi pair sin £12 a pair, lovely they are, they may end up the main tank, or a pair of green severums,

greenSeverum1.jpg

Last edited:

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Well I convinced myself to go restock the tank today heheh ooops :)

ended up striking a deal on 5 pair of Sterbai, 25% discount on 20 baby cardinals to replenish my dither shoal of adults and a pair of Double Red Apistogramma Cacatuoides, all for just under £50 so cant complain :)

best male apisto.jpg
best sterbai.jpg
community.jpg

In one shot almst every species of fish I have in there lol, plat tetra, marginatus dwarf pencils, glowlights, Cardinals, red eye tetras & corys

Ill soon get Mr/Mrs Apisto coloured up.

female apisto.jpg male apisto.jpg male apito2.jpg male n female.jpg sterbai2.jpg

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
gutted this morning, got up to find 5 of the sterbai stiff as a fooking board...water check came back 100% perfect, fook knows not a happy bunny, half expect to find the other 5 fubar when I get home. cardinals and Apistos are fine

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
hope it all goes well love the aspitos and glad you didn't get the Severums they will out grow your tanks

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
hope it all goes well love the aspitos and glad you didn't get the Severums they will out grow your tanks
did a 90% water change as testing the 180 found traces of up to 10ppm of ammonia (its now under 3ppm after the massive change)........lost all the corys (10@£35) but the cardinals and apistos are looking better today. My macmasteri apisto is looking better in the tank upstairs, so glad I didn't euthanize him when he looked on deaths door.

slYer

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 4, 2014
London
Here's my pond..
1.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG