Gaming & Video Editing PC build, suggestions welcome

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

bobbydigital

New User
Jan 6, 2013
UK
I'm planning to build a PC in my old case for gaming, ready for Battlefield 1 and future FPS titles. I'm also a director and edit video (Adobe Suite etc).

I've been using a gaming laptop for the last 3 years, my desktop is 8 years old. The only salvageable components (IMO) are the Asus ATX Case and the Corsair 640W modular power supply (old but I can't see why it wouldn't do the job?). Feedback is welcome however, if you think it's silly to use any old components. I don't care about aesthetics (I can't afford to).

I also have 2 SSD's and some HDDs and I have a 24" FP241W BENQ monitor (DVI is the only good input). As I'm on a budget I don't want to replace any of these until / unless I have to.

I currently play Rainbow Six Siege on all low settings, so I definitely want some futureproofing with this machine. Not going for 1440 to start with but to have the option would be nice. 2/3 monitors.

Budget is ~ £650 (tower parts only, no peripherals required)

Any help appreciated, particularly with components and how to avoid paying loads for the new ones. Also if anyone can suggest how long one might have to wait for these new 10 cards to drop in price..

Crispy

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 13, 2016
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

I found that site very useful when I was looking for the bits for my pc a year and a bit ago. They have a section showing guides which are setups they recommend and the first one on there at the moment is a £650 modest gaming build which might be a good start. If you look through the completed builds its ones the public have built so it might give you a few more ideas

Torched

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 16, 2013
Since I said that I would do it, and I forgot about it. I'm sorry

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Lw6fvV
Choose between 16 and 32 GB, if 16 you have more money for a GPU
This is what is possible in budget, then add a 1060 or RX 480.

If you don't want any possibility of OC you can go
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ndDv3F

And spend the rest of the money on GPU but the 1070 isn't anywhere close to 350 Gross Brit Puns yet.

If more money dump it in GPU first, CPU is pretty good as is, you will have a small gain in editing with an i7 because of more threads. There is also a little to gain for editing with faster memory but usually that is not a lot.
There is more gain in having lots of it. So for your case 32 GB would be quite sensible. But it means that you have to cut in GPU and that sucks a bit.

Also I don't know if there is any gpu acceleration in your programs, might want to base your choice of AMD/NV on that.