Home Wireless

Ninja_Freak

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jul 8, 2010
christchurch
Hi folks,

Do any of you use any specific wireless access points (WAP) over and above the crappy one provided by your ISP?

Currently, I have a NetGear WNDAP360 but it's starting to crap out on me (I think) so I'm in the market for a replacement. We're very tech-hungry in our household with phones, laptops, Echo's and Dot's etc. I need something that is robust that can handle many devices but also operate in dual band (2.4 & 5.0) and not just one or the other.

I like the idea of ceiling mounted and POE is a must.

My budget is around £250.

Would appreciate your thoughts folks. :)

Clown

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 14, 2015
Wales
Using a TP-LINK A1600 which give WI-FI signal to most of the house and I have a TP-LINK Power Line which takes care of the rest. I have a Nest camera and thermostat which both struggled to connect using a repeater and with plug-in extender, since getting the power line camera never goes offline with signal problems and I have even got signal to most of the back garden.

Ryan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 23, 2015
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
If your use case of Wi-Fi is mainly phones and non latency critical applications (i.e. Gaming) then this is a newer solution for mesh whole home WiFi for all those phones. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-P9-Powerline-coverage-Parental/dp/B07XSBGP7G

If you are using any critical applications for gaming on Wi-Fi, i'd always recommend moving them to wired applications. If your in fear of wires being everywhere you have a few solutions depending on your cost and assuming you dont want to channel through walls.

You can use ribbon style ethernet cable which is thin, easy to apply along the house skirting.

Or if you want the most minimum impact visually you could go ethernet to fibre optic which is extremely thin and can be stuck down using transparent adhesive. There is a bit more involvement in this, but if you want visually the smallest impact (seeing fibre optic is teeny) then this would be your better solution.

I'm not a master expert by any means but have had to put solutions in place for different family homes.

Ninja_Freak

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jul 8, 2010
christchurch
Thanks guys. Looks like the mesh system is the way forward.

The house itself is wired with a least 1 rj45 in each room (boys rooms have 3 points) but with the multitude of wireless devices floating about in our house (and friends dropping by with their kids etc) I need something quite robust.

No office but I steer clear of anything TP-Link.

I'll keep looking for deals on mesh systems and let you guys know where I end up.