Mechanical Keyboards

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

darcy67

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 7, 2010
United Kingdom
Sad to say that I've only just discovered the qualities of these.

Does anyone have one, if so what do you have?

BorgieXL0

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Sep 4, 2015
Netherlands
Sry m8. Mechkeyboards are not default included on laptops;). Know only one who has that.

But what i'll have read the Color (blue, red, brown) version of the keyswitches are important.
In the early Day, 's IBM deliverd those great keyboards default with the PC.

Maybe you can write a review about the version you own ore has in your sight.

Reactions: darcy67

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
Ducky DK9087 Shine2. I'm very happy with it :)

darcy67

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 7, 2010
United Kingdom
Sry m8. Mechkeyboards are not default included on laptops;). Know only one who has that.

But what i'll have read the Color (blue, red, brown) version of the keyswitches are important.

Not sure about writing a review but I've just bought a keycap set for mine.

MD-15428_20160127123826_e2b912907ab30ac6.jpg

MD-15428_20160129151548_14213cd65fc8761d.jpg

Doesn't arrive until July though. Which is crazy!

Reactions: BorgieXL0

TommyJay

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 4, 2014
Rockin a Ducky Shine S3 with Cherry MX blue switches. Like Borgie said, the colour of the switches are important, as they tell you what characteristics the switch has.

The four most common switches you'll see are as follows:
Blue ones, which I have, have a clicky sound to them and are tactile.They are typically regarded good for people who type a lot. I use it for games as well and have no problems with them.
Red ones are linear and have a fairly low actuation force. They're more silent than the blue ones and are typically considered good for gaming.
Black ones are linear, like the red ones, but are stiffer, as they require a higher actuation force.
Finally, brown ones are a bit of a middle ground between blue and red, as they are tactile, but not clicky. People who do both gaming and typing usually use these.

The reason I went for blue ones, is because I love the clicky sound they make. Mind you, they are rather loud.

There's also other Cherry MX switches, but they are not as common.

Besides Cherry, nowadays there are also other manufacturers of switches. Logitech has keyboards with Romer-g switches. Razer has their own line and when you start looking at some more exotic keyboards, you'll find a whole lineup of other brands of switches, all with their own characteristics.

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
Bought a QPAD MK-85 about a year ago to replace my old SteelSeries 6Gv2 which I'd had for 4ish years.

1689443-a.jpg

Main reason for upgrade was I wanted a backlit keyboard which the Steelseries was not and also changed from Blacks to Red.

I'd never consider gaming without a mech keybaord, if anyone hasn't tried it then they should.... it just feels so right!!!

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
I got a logitech G710+ and it has brown switches (so no Romer-g switches in this one). I am very pleased with it. This was also one within my budget and one I could get fast.

Before this keyboard I had a razer blackwidow (also mechanical) which I also liked, but sadly that one got destroyed by too many liquids......

darcy67

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 7, 2010
United Kingdom

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
I got a logitech G710+ and it has brown switches (so no Romer-g switches in this one). I am very pleased with it. This was also one within my budget and one I could get fast.

Before this keyboard I had a razer blackwidow (also mechanical) which I also liked, but sadly that one got destroyed by too many liquids......

this is what I have too
I am very happy with it

XharKhan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 27, 2010
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
I have a Logitech G19, Cherry MX Red.

Its good, had it a few years now, it can be a pain in the ass for typing emails on but for gaming its the best keyboard I've had yet.

Squid_Vicious

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 25, 2018

Do you mean them seriously clunky AS400 keyboards?

Clown

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 14, 2015
Wales
Just got a Corsair Straiff MKII to replace my G910 that somehow got full of Budweiser. Very clicky and flashy.

Reactions: ShadowFax75