Need advice: new gaming headset

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Quic

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 10, 2010
Heerenveen, Holland
www.theoldgitsarmy.com
Hi guys!

Since my current headset is letting me down (3years old Logitech G230), I am looking for a new one. There are so many brands and types of gaming headsets which makes it very hard to choose.. I would love to get some advice from you guys. My budget is around €100,-. I never played with a surround 7.1 or 5.1 headset before, kinda always had a stereo headset:)

Thanks!

Quic

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
I am not sure if surround sound is worth it as I can't compare my surround headset with a stereo headset.
There are mixed opinions about it. Some say that buying a good (stereo) headphone and a separate microphone is better and I think that's better indeed. But haven't tried that yet as my current headset is still working.

I bought about 6 months ago a samson meteor usb microphone, because the microphone wasn't that good on my headset (corsair vengeance 2100) and now I am prepared to buy a normal good headphone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quic

TommyJay

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 4, 2014
Seconded on getting a separate mic and good regular stereo headphones. A bit of a decent mic will cost you about €60 though, plus a nice pair of headphones an additional €60 or more.

If you do decide to go for a gaming headset, the Kingston HyperX Cloud 1 and 2 are pretty good choices.

NE0

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 30, 2015
Leicester UK
euancarter.com
Use 2.1 stereo headphones but if possible use virtual surround sound or Dolby 5.1 through ur pc into the headphones , this will give you far better awareness.

Headphones designed for audio 2.1 will always be far superior quality speakers to the 'gaming' headsets which cram 5 or 7 tiny speakers into each ear.

I use Beyerdynamic headphones (DT 990 premium) after trying many brands i found these to be most comfortable and nicest sound. Open headphones like these will not 'clamp' your head, the closed headphones are much more pressured and tight feeling.

I would recommend seperate headphones and mic, something from Beyerdyamic or maybe Seinhesier. get them off Amazon as you can return anytime and get a good warranty.

The soundcard also makes a massive impact on the quality and situational awareness. I spent about £70 on a Creative Z soundcard, this has a surround sound virtual mode which emulates 7.1 speakers through a 2.1 headset. There are lots of good soundcards, if you are using the built in motherboard soundcard you will unlikely to have virtual surround sound and will be stuck with 2.1 audio which isnt very situational. There is a cheaper option realtek DX soundcard for about £25 that has a decent virtual mode also. Some of the more pricey headphones will come in different ohms, so you need to make sure soundcard has correct pre-amp to drive the ohm level, or buy a seperate headphone amp which the soundcard plugs into.

When I was researching I would read Mad Envys thread about headphones , very famous online headphone guy with nearly every pair tested http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

ps., the mic i use is called 'modmic.' these mics are great and can clip onto any set of headphones or surface. It comes with a couple of magnets so u can just pull it off when not using it. http://www.modmic.com/