New UT Title to be FREE!

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
OH EM GEE!

Although the chances of it being a flop are significant.
nah mate, if you read into the article its free so that modders can then try to sell map packs and addons for the title,a truly stupendous action/idea by Epic (this has kept UT99 alive even nowadays a good 15years later). As long as they stick to say Ut99 style they have a winner or ut2k3/4

Last edited:
Reactions: Zero

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
OH EM GEE!

Although the chances of it being a flop are significant.

I expect it will be a major success tbh.

One of the main reasons UT3 was not great was because it had to cater to the shity consoles. This is a pc shooter only being developed along side the molding community which can only be a good thing.

I expect the initial release to have limited content but too grow rapidly as epic has a huuuuuge molding community.

If it does turn into a fail train, that will be me done for good. It's only the hope of another UK game that's kept me remotely interested in recent years.

If a game can't be modded, it's rarely worth playing in my eyes ;)

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
I'm not persuaded. As a massive fanboy of the UT series I would love it to succeed and have a huge community, but I can't help but feel you're living in the past. We were a good number of years younger when UT1 came out :)

UT3 was not great for a number of reasons, and yes the console side was a big issue but also the fact that it didn't look and feel like the UT games we knew and loved, and also they took too long to make it. The majority of their player base, decent map makers & modders had gone onto other things.

I don't think they will create UT4 as a homage to the previous versions, but will try to make it in the UT3 / GOW style, which will I don't think will be a well received selling point on PC. Plus don't forget they are only announcing starting on it now so we are some ways off. I hope I am wrong of course.

Torched

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 16, 2013
nah mate, if you read into the article its free so that modders can then try to sell map packs and addons for the title,a truly stupendous action/idea by Epic (this has kept UT99 alive even nowadays a good 15years later). As long as they stick to say Ut99 style they have a winner or ut2k3/4
Why?

Because now modders have an incentive to make good stuff yeah,
It all depends on how expensive things are going to be and how easy its going to be to pay for it. It works for Team fortress 2 too so.

Its all on implementation.

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Why?

Because now modders have an incentive to make good stuff yeah,
It all depends on how expensive things are going to be and how easy its going to be to pay for it. It works for Team fortress 2 too so.

Its all on implementation.

Ut99 still has a strong fanbase and modders even after 15 years,normally id deem this to fail,
but with epic approaching it in a mod friendly way and the modders being involved in the game engine and specific title design on this we could have something as good as the daddy title.

The ut franchise stooped after 2k4 IMO, ut3 was a bastard hybrid console abortion that didnt deserve the label unreal tourney. This is being built from the ground up for windows mac n linux only, just like ut99 was.

Im quite looking forward to this.

Reactions: Zero

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
I love the way the devs post regular little updates on how things are going.

Here you can see them play testing a community made level with the first go at TDM:

ianno1993

New User
Jun 3, 2014
Dahm, I can't way when it comes out! :D Looks really awesome! i never played a UR game. Maybe for a few minutes.