Oculus rift

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Obi

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 17, 2015
Soo i pre-ordered one of these, been saving for a while and it doesn't ship till may so I have few months to save the last couple of dollari, but I'm excited. Anyone else jumping on this wagon?

I've been waiting for over 20 years! Can't wait to fly in dcs

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
Soo i pre-ordered one of these, been saving for a while and it doesn't ship till may so I have few months to save the last couple of dollari, but I'm excited. Anyone else jumping on this wagon?

I've been waiting for over 20 years! Can't wait to fly in dcs
A bit too expensive for my taste at the moment. Not only the Oculus rift, also the recommended specs. The recommended Graphics card is a gtx970? And I got a 770, so then I would possibly need to upgrade that too. So I'll wait.

Obi

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 17, 2015
so as a little update , i had my oculus delivery date pushed back to some time in June (earliest) . this i found a little annoying. i ummed and ahhed, watched a metric ton of videos and haunted reddit for weeks and finally decided to change the direction i was going. I'm kinda worried by the lack of transparency occulus started to display, it all started to seem a little dishonest. i canceled my occulus order on the 26th April and ordered a HTC vive on the same day. Now the vive was delivered on 10th May.
if you havnt tried vr then you are in for a treat.

Bad stuff first the resolution aint all that , you can read documents on your desktop but its a struggle, its bulky and you know your wearing it, also after hour or so of gaming with it on, your face is hot and red and sweaty. and its really fucking expensive !! but .........

the experience is so so much fun , playing some archery game (holopoint) where you have to draw shoot , dodge , move , spin twist and duck is fooking great, the first time i played my arms were tired and sore after an hour . its almost like exercise on your pc !! great. the games are fairly simple, at the moment i have about 12 vr games right now and all of them are a blast , but at the same time none has the feel of a finished AAA title, saying that imagine being in a place (the brookhaven experience) with a flashlight in your left hand pistol in your right , its dark , scary noise everywhere and the zombies are coming in from all around. headshots count and you have to aim , i physically was reacting to zombies getting to close, my adrenaline was pumping!! . playing elite has been a blast!! the sense of scale is extraordinary, stuff is huge!! . Space invaders in real life (space pirate trainer ) waves of drones you have a blaster in each hand and you need to use the force! shooting dodging moving , just awesome.

as a first generation of new tech i think the vive is an outstanding piece of kit, if you have the chance to go try one in a shop go for it, it really takes your breath away . It has a way to go and in 2 or 3 years when its smaller , lighter , wireless(please) , and cheaper it will be everywhere , I'm positive.

the major downside I'm having right now is that I'm finding it a bit boring to play anything on my monitor ( did not expect that to happen ever)

Clown

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 14, 2015
Wales
Got the HTC last week, so far I have broken a desk fan playing guitar, fallen over downhill skiing, knocked a can of lemonade on the floor playing Drone Hunter, alienated the wife playing on it in general and upset the dogs. I have also travelled to the moon and back on Apollo 11 and toured the solar system.

Crispy

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jun 13, 2016
apollo 11 is amazing, try out ONWARD, best first person shooter in vr so far

Reactions: Clown

waffey73

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 15, 2015
Norfolk
You guys are mental £600 for gaming head gear Mad Mad.:lol:
It far to strenuous for an old codger like me but enjoys guys it looks and sounds like very much fun.

Clown

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 14, 2015
Wales
I agree Waffey, spent 2 hours playing Into The Rhythm Saturday, spent most of Sunday moaning whenever I moved my arms.