Thoughts on upcoming patch?

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

LackingGravitas

New User
Dec 29, 2011
Hi all,

On Friday Symthic posted information from the upcoming patch to BF3 (preliminary, but official and indicative of where DICE are taking the game).

Lots of tweaks to weapon/attachment balance. What do people think?

I play mainly Assault, fairly happy with the damage increase and the accuracy tweaks in general. It's good to have the RU starting weapons for Engineer and Assault improved towards the US starting guns.

As for attachment changes, mixed opinions. One one hand, everyone just runs Foregrip+Suppressor all the time, so nerfing them and making the other attachments more attractive will be good for variety. On the other, I run Foregrip+Suppressor all the time :)

Link again: http://symthic.com/f/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=471

Nibbles

Donator
Sep 25, 2010
Shotguns
12g Slug (Auto & Semiauto)
Max damage 50 -> 75
Min damage 34 -> 37.5
Dropoff start dist. 8 -> 15
Dropoff end dist. 40 -> 50

12g Slug (Pump-action)
Min damage 34 -> 37.5
Dropoff start dist. 8 -> 15
Dropoff end dist. 40 -> 50

12g Frag (Auto & Semiauto)
Some weird things in the files, not 100% sure about frags yet.
Looks like only the min direct damage is reduced from 10 to 5

12g Frag (Pump-action)
Max direct hit damage 60 -> 67
Blast damage 30 -> 40

12g Buckshot
Max damage 20 -> 12.5
Dropoff start dist. 4 -> 8
Dropoff end dist. 25 -> 30

12g Flechette
Max damage 14.3 -> 11.2
Min damage 8.4 -> 8

Dropoff start dist. 12 -> 15
Dropoff end dist. 25 -> 30

Hmm, not sure but I think this means my Shottie snipering may have got a boost. Wonder if it will make my RPG Shottie work better?

Nibbles

LackingGravitas

New User
Dec 29, 2011
I didn't notice the slugs buff for pump-actions, awesome! I had over 2000 kills with the 870+slugs in Bad Company 2, but it never felt as epic in BF3.

massvgorilla

New User
Nov 20, 2011
East London
Looks like AKs are largely buffed so I'm all good :)

Looks like I need to spend more time on the shotty though, it's going from cannon to nuke at this rate with the 12g frag buffs.

They have to be careful buffing all shotty's though... game won't be well balanced.

Will be interesting to see what the final word is though, as I'm sure there'll be changes along the way.

Nibbles

Donator
Sep 25, 2010
Massv, shotties are actually pretty balanced. If you dont get the jump on a group your going to get owned very very quickly. Although I "snipe" with my USAS its actually very difficult to do. Any skirmish where the opposition is more than 20 feet away and you cant get them. Alot of the damage caused with the frag rounds is splash damage so it is really hard to deal damage on someone in the open. Using it properly takes practice and patience. Yesterday I was getting maybe 1 to 3 kill ratio with my Shottie RPG. And I cant use it against real snipers cos I have no range. But, I still love it

Nibbles

Donator
Sep 25, 2010
I did some more reading about this patch. Looks like Im not going to be able to snipe with my shottie anymore. I like sniping with my shottie. I like RPGing helicopters with it too.
What will I do now? Im gutted<_<

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
just looked again for changes and they are nerfing the mav and c4 claymores etc

-The MAV will now be destroyed when running into a soldier or vehicle at high speed. It is still possible to strategically sacrifice your MAV on a soldier; it will be destroyed in the process.
-The MAV now properly shows up in the Kill Feed. Previously it simply displayed "KILLED."
-The MAV can no longer be used as an elevator.
-Matched the motion sensor sweep frequency and range on the MAV to the TUGS.
-Players will no longer auto enter SOFLAM, MAV, and EOD bots after they are deployed.
-Players may now use their knife to destroy enemy equipment.
-C4 will no longer be detonable after a player respawns, if the player is revived within 5 seconds he can still detonate his C4.
-The player may now have a maximum number of mines which will persist after the player's death. Deploying more than the maximum of 6 mines will remove a previous mine from the world.
-Claymores now live up to 5 seconds after a player dies, the player can have a max 2 claymores planted at the same time.
-Claymores can now detonate from vehicles and can be used to disable jeeps or kill the passengers in light jeeps. Claymores will not do any damage to heavy vehicles.

soo looks good but morters can no longer be used in own spawn area