TOGA - Alcohol Appreciation Society

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
I've had many conversations with people on TS about what we're drinking and all those people will know that I'm a fan of Whisky (even WhisEy on occasion).

I love my single malts but I also like Spiced Rum and Southern Comfort (which is my 'safe' drink on a night out). I like port but she doesn't let me drink it too much after some rather bad experiences!

So if you've tried something new and want to share the experience good or bad then why not post it here.

I currently have about 60 bottles of booze in my house and no I don't have an issue 'hic.

Here's a quick pic of my current whiskys...

y3mluSLDKjbpbmqVW1bdMLg5KvroD1BpfRC5uYyfEE7MKjoyshxTrag6zfhRHccudTILMzHkjnnnxGfZknSi49dbMSKSpJjr_4XcNmcegifxtpw0btzHNUeRmQlmb6sw-MY1GPpyc2eAUt4DY2HymjHVrCNdOFi-REZBxko2l9QHK0

Rear Left - Talisker Skye - Full of smokey goodness!
Second from left - 15 yr Old Glenfiddich from Solera VAT - currently my favourite on there. Very smooth with sweet notes.
Glenlivet 15 & 12 years old - Both good whiskeys but nothing special imo.
Glenmorangie 'A Midwinters night dram' - A very full flavoured whisky that is very 'in your face' and very warming, from a Sherry cask.
De Luze XO - How did this get in there! It's a Champagne Cognac that normally accompanies a cigar that I have once in a while, a brand new bottle in the box behind it.
Strathisla 12 yr old - Meh! About the cheapest bottle of Strathisla you can get and it really isn't as good as the more expensive bottles, still drinkable but dissapointed given that I've tried some of the rare ones.
Far Right corner hidden in blue box - Chivas Royal Salute 100 Cask Selection (no 4). A gift that has yet to be opened, saving it for a special occasion.

There's obviously some other stuff up there that's all pretty standard but enjoyable!

Also dotted around the house...

y3mJoMTxm1dQ4B_SeMKKwiZFN0I4AlL1s3lUg1u0_Bu9kGoCjEcB1LTCP8Rgz9pnuKOyOw-GLfxzoaDIDvFI-oG71WJJm6WgD_3hQbPy20GX3cdma3noNCyd1-QRf7zjckVJ78GoLN43Lm4NiOLQTKhawrOpu-ghhDPU1Hd8M7icLw
y3m0DWIxMyPMJ4i9X2QehWeqN1i9xTqS46BCqtMon0E1dFZjUgXTVg_-ADX8Pj4q_WPTS4Dmi8Po_UDuoytrmsATe7KlXsKz0_a7A0ocJwu0WrOiqET7URrJt7y6QWK6TF9TcdzQWWIK3b2pOinSsyNAoHIoeGwR3yz6CLR4kzCj0Y
y3maGwQzRZNubx6escWPplhkujKvvRpGzhbKxKGQeTOnbZYOsRMxZSlzpjy5gnyr2iZh-QAQ_tBxeZmXd9U67SrjKOGHsYj52wcw2clMMiiApPD_Wj7p2MYZPH9LKgeUIfgNIx8XmTqkTmceggpbjXCysKSigSiHWaoXPjQXg4almo

And I haven't even got to the cocktail cabinet...

I do like my drink, so much so I can assure you that the lambrini in the middle pic is not mine!!

Reactions: westonwarrior

Clown

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Dec 14, 2015
Wales
I gave up drinking over 10 years ago, no problem with it just sat down half way through my second can of Stella one afternoon and thought I fancy a cup of tea and that was that. I still fancy a pint now and then and love the smell of whisky and rum but just can't be bothered. Currently having a mug of Twinnings Bold Kenyan as Tesco's stopped doing Makomboki, I also like a good cup of Ceylon or a mug of English Breakfast, even PG tips at a push. Other engineers dread little old ladies asking if I want a cup of tea as I always ask what they got, even carry a box of Bold Kenyan in the van for emergencies. :pompus:

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
I gave up drinking over 10 years ago, no problem with it just sat down half way through my second can of Stella one afternoon and thought I fancy a cup of tea and that was that. I still fancy a pint now and then and love the smell of whisky and rum but just can't be bothered. Currently having a mug of Twinnings Bold Kenyan as Tesco's stopped doing Makomboki, I also like a good cup of Ceylon or a mug of English Breakfast, even PG tips at a push. Other engineers dread little old ladies asking if I want a cup of tea as I always ask what they got, even carry a box of Bold Kenyan in the van for emergencies. :pompus:

M&S Gold label tea! Yummmy!

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
Quite a collection...But are those bottles half empty or half full?!

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
Are you implying that I might fill a bottle up? Have a day off!

Actually it was a clumsy joke referring to the saying "is your glass half empty or half full", meaning that do you look the things in a positive or negative way. My bad.

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
Actually it was a clumsy joke referring to the saying "is your glass half empty or half full", meaning that do you look the things in a positive or negative way. My bad.

Yes mate I know... I was just being a sarcastic ****!

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
So you ARE filling them up! I knew it! :)

m_cislo

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 2, 2014
I use to make my own drinks. Favorite one is...lets call it 'lemonade'. 1l spirit, 0.5l water, 1kg sugar and lemon zest

daisy

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
May 13, 2015
North Wales
I'm rather partial to a bit of mead, it really was like the first Alcopops sweet, and easy to forget you're drinking alcohol

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
I use to make my own drinks. Favorite one is...lets call it 'lemonade'. 1l spirit, 0.5l water, 1kg sugar and lemon zest

Made my own sloe gin on several occasions, lovely!

I'm rather partial to a bit of mead, it really was like the first Alcopops sweet, and easy to forget you're drinking alcohol

I don't mind it either, but not too much, just get a bit sickly!

waffey73

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 15, 2015
Norfolk
All good Whiskeys Matt but why no Dalwhinnie :) I find this one of the best single malt whiskeys in line with the others you have.
It is expensive at £35 a bottle well worth the taste.

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
All good Whiskeys Matt but why no Dalwhinnie :) I find this one of the best single malt whiskeys in line with the others you have.
It is expensive at £35 a bottle well worth the taste.

Actually I just bought some at Waitrose, the Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold one, £25 instead of £40. Couldn't say no really!
Also just picked up a 12 year old Aberfeldy. Both to replace a couple of bottles that have been sunk in the last week.

coolcon2000

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Aug 15, 2014
connerclutsom3d.wordpress.com
Rear Left - Talisker Skye - Full of smokey goodness!

I live on the island and have never actually been inside the distillery or tried the whisky itself. Never really tried whisky at all actually. tried it when I was younger and thought my throat decided to destroy itself. We also have Skye beer which is too popular, we keep selling out of the stuff in the co-op.

Reactions: MattyD

MattyD

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hampshire
Picked up another bottle today........

G&M.jpg

It is fantastic, very very drinkable! Seriously a £40-45 bottle of whiskey, cask strength that tastes far better than a lot of far more expensive bottles I've had!
I would recommend this to any one who is looking at getting in to Single Malts, it's relatively inexpensive and great to drink.