Battlefield Portal - Holy Shit!!!

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

SomeOldGit

Match and social organiser
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Mar 28, 2010
stevenage
Looks great if it comes out back to how it should be

I may have missed it but was there a mention of creating your own maps?

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
Somebody mentioned a crouch server? :first:

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
@McTavish This also means that in theory you could create a BF crouch server!
It might take half an hour to get all the 128 gamers into action on these huge maps though
:lol:

Reactions: Zero

Bl@ckthorn

Head Admin
Staff member
Recruitment
Tactician
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Oct 27, 2010
Bury England
Fan bloody tastic you can mod anything and everything from the 4 eras. The jackfrag vid goes into a lot of details, bit much for my ability so will leave the modding up to you guys. Just point me in the right direction with plenty of bullets

HAPPY FRAGGING

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
Just had chance to watch the video fully and properly and I have to say my flabber is well gasted.

We will have clan servers again and set the maps at what we want with full admin control. 1 player start and programmable ai's
Set weapons and vehicals ww2 soldiers with 2042 kit. The list is massive.

I think we need to see who wants to develop the servers, I will be looking at the admin side and modding from the first chance. I know @Zero will be chomping at the bit but any one else who wants to look at this feel free and let me know, a good team can make this game epic for us.

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
This looks really good indeed. If everything works out how it looks. I think Battlefield is back :)

And I certainly want to have a look at the possibilities :)

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
I haven't touched map tools since I played and did a little mapping for UT2004 back....whenever it was popular...eon's ago, but I'm kind of looking forward to having a much around with the Portal tools.

My only concern is that the server list is going to get swamped with basically crap, so the use of filters will be paramount to weed out the dross and find the ones you want to play.

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
I haven't touched map tools since I played and did a little mapping for UT2004 back....whenever it was popular...eon's ago, but I'm kind of looking forward to having a much around with the Portal tools.

My only concern is that the server list is going to get swamped with basically crap, so the use of filters will be paramount to weed out the dross and find the ones you want to play.

I did a lot of UT2004 maps back in the day for our freezetag servers :cool: :grandpa:

Here are some of them

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
Bit more detail on portal can be found here:

From reading that, I don't believe the experiences you create using the builder and logic editor are persistent servers.

It says:
"Community Experiences are created when you make a match, and will remain online while the Experience has players active.

If you end up liking another player’s Experience, you can Follow that player to keep track of when they’re running matches
"

So you create an "experience" with the option to backfill it with AI soldiers, but once the last real active players leaves, I think the server is removed.

I have not read anything yet about clan servers as yet. The vanilla servers could be created the same way above I guess, just won't be online 24/7.

Last edited:

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
From reading that, I don't believe the experiences you create using the builder and logic editor are persistent servers.
It says:
"Community Experiences are created when you make a match, and will remain online while the Experience has players active..."
I also noticed it, was it yesterday, and thought the same...I wonder how complicated/time consuming it would be to make those settings every time you want to get the server up. Was it too good to be true after all?

In BFV there are still some active clan servers with hard core settings, I've never paid attention to the way they've been set up (permanently or not).

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
@McTavish

I believe the state/configuration is still a saved thing in your portal, so you would just select it and spin it up. The fact the banned players remain banned on these servers would suggest that is how it works

Plus that community servers can be spotlighted by DICE and be rejoined by players also suggests these portal servers have a static ID.