Battlefield 3 Still Rocks!

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
So with the new COD coming out that I wasnt going to buy, I was reminiscing about the good old COD days and thought I'd reinstall and see if any servers were still playing MW3. Sure enough I got on a few but frankly Im not at the peak of reactions that I never was lol.

Then I got to watching a few BFBC2, BF3 and BF4 videos over the past few weeks and realised that there is still a fair sized community still playing these games so I downloaded BF3 again from the Origin site. Have to say it is a lot quicker to load into the games than BFV, though that might be my upgraded PC.

Its really - honestly - really fun playing these old maps that have been forgotten by many of us. Theres still a good selection of servers though Ive pretty much stuck to one 64 player server which is always nearly full and runs mapvote with nearly all maps as far as I can tell.

I'm getting on a bit these days and gaming has more appeal to me to watch than to play. I find myself buying a game and getting bored with it quickly. Reactions are also a lot slower and frankly it was a lot more fun with a clan to play with than solitary. However, jumping in to these old maps was a mix of remembering old times and playing them as new because I'd forgotten so much.

Ironically Metro was the map on the server I first played and it was great again. Really bloody good! It took me a little while to figure out that there was no side passage and the lifts dont work and Im sure after a dozen or more time playing I'll get as fed up with it as I used to be if its frequently played, but its still the map to play if you want to level up some skills :)

Wake Island was next and we wont say much about that other than I spent most of my time running about not knowing where the heck I was, where the vehicles were and why that helo pilot was so damned good.

Ziba Tower. Ahh yes I'd forgotten about this map which is basically two sides of a high rise penthouse with an open area between. I think it wasnt quite the slaughterfest when there were fewer people on the clan server. I got some good (AKA lucky) kills but mostly my K/D ratio was 1:2. Still fun though and there used to be one a bit similar in COD I used to love - cant remember its name though.

Scrapmetal has been mapvoted a few times which want a big favourite of mine back in the day. Too many walls to run into or meshes that can be shot through and way better with a clan and teamspeak rather than everyone just running every which way. More coordination needed.

These are the only maps Ive managed to play so far as times been a bit limited. Have to say though that last night I was up until 12.45am playing which is unusual for me these days. Im usually sparko way before then.

Cant wait to get myself back into maps like Damavand Peak (remember the base jumping?), Seine Crossing, Gulf of Oman, Sharqi Peninsula, Strike at Karkand, Donya Fortress and Operation 925.

After that fix, theres Battlefield 4 to get downloaded and all the superb maps that came with that.

Reactions: Zero

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jan 5, 2010
Bucks, England
www.theoldgitsarmy.co.uk
I'm quite tempted to load BF3. Much preferred it over BF4 though that was still bloody good. I've been watching a lot of old youtube stuff as well including BFBC2 which was great :)

I'm getting my arse kicked every time I play the new COD. I'm level 16 and it's already losing its appeal, but that is of course because I too have become far too slow with reactions :(

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
I'm getting my arse kicked every time I play the new COD. I'm level 16 and it's already losing its appeal, but that is of course because I too have become far too slow with reactions :(
I get my arse handed over to me on a plate no matter what I play these days! It's no fun to be old and slow :mellow: So I guess I'll skip BF3 though the idea sounds really good.

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
I've been watching a lot of old youtube stuff as well including BFBC2 which was great

Yeah I'd love to reinstall BC2 as well but when I key in the serial number off the manual it says its already in use so I need to speak to the Origin support people to see if they can do something.

Played the Armored Shield map from the Armored Kill pack and our side got mullered. We nearly pulled it back round but their Viper pilot & gunner were pretty epic and basically our flying skills were crud and our anti air was too gung ho & kept getting itself blown up. Nice to drive the fast moving M1128 Tank Destroyers again though and it seems my little trick of taking the RHIB around the canal to cap flag A still gets overlooked. Oh and I'd forgotten all about the AC-130 gunship :)

ShadowFax75

Server Admin
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Feb 2, 2014
I still have BF3 installed. I prefer the gameplay of BF4. BF3 has the better maps in my opinion.

Would love to see the BF3 maps in BF4 ;-)

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
Someone was saying on Youtube that wouldnt it be great if they released a map pack of a selection of the old maps from the previous games. I mean it sounds fairly simple to do and would surely be a crowd pleaser. I expect its not so straightforward, but probably simpler than making new maps?

SomeOldGit

Match and social organiser
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Mar 28, 2010
stevenage
I'm getting my arse kicked every time I play the new COD. I'm level 16 and it's already losing its appeal, but that is of course because I too have become far too slow with reactions :([/QUOTE]

Ive had to change how i play normally... first in guns blazing but COD is 1 shot kill most of the time so a bit of hiding in the buildings with the PKM ,M91

Binary

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Feb 24, 2014
Reading / High Wycombe
Played Caspian Border and Firestorm tonight. Firestorm went on for so long my mouse hand started getting pins and needles! But, I was top of the leaderboard on our side. I'm noticing either I'm slightly better than I used to be or everyone else is crappier lol.