• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

BF3 "might not" be on Steam

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
"Rumours" are surfacing that BF3 will not release at all on Steam Works and will instead be released digitally on EA's new digital distribution network called 'Origin', and that they will be pulling all there existing titles from steam to Origin.

Of course hardcopies will still probably be available.

So if this is true, it looks like yet another 3rd party piece of software required to run a game......ooooh joy :bored:

Tex Murphy

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Apparently SW:ToR is going to be exclusive to Origin as well. I think I'll go with a hard copy. EA doesn't exactly have a good reputation in my book. And their site is ugly, badly translated and you can't switch to an English version.

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Great. It's just a step away that some major titles will not be released at all in other than digital form...Next Alan Wake for instance is rumoured to be digital-only. Not that I'd buy Alan Wake, nope, but I don't like the development either how the game houses force you to certain third party solutions. And it looks like you need an active internet connection in the near future to play any major game, not only to register your game solely to your puter. I fully agree that the game houses must protect their games against piracy, but the action against preowned market seems a bit of an over kill. -I like to have my hard copy! :mellow:

Bodhi

Reg User
EA's previous and current digital download "applications" have been even worse than Steam. A lot. I'd be happy with Steam, to be honest. Through time and meditation I have learned to accept the everlasting presence of the dark side.

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
I'd be happy with Steam, to be honest. Through time and meditation I have learned to accept the everlasting presence of the dark side.

I'll never go that deep in the dark side!! :D

Galway

Reg User
I will worry about all this at a latter date when I can see a game worthy of currency.

Steam and all the other download/purchase sites can go forth and implode for all I care. If Sony can get hacked, then im sure as hell any of these can be and they have your payment details. Steam was removed from my computer a while back and although I have an account its not in use, and I have never bought a game using it so no loss.

XharKhan

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
I will worry about all this at a latter date when I can see a game worthy of currency.

Steam and all the other download/purchase sites can go forth and implode for all I care. If Sony can get hacked, then im sure as hell any of these can be and they have your payment details. Steam was removed from my computer a while back and although I have an account its not in use, and I have never bought a game using it so no loss.

I get where you're from Gally, but I'm not that bothered that steam has my details (even though they dont as I enter them everytime and dont save anything other than my name to the servers). However, I do bank online and as we know if sony and every other victim of the current spate of hacking can get done then its only so long before a dedicated team of hackers break a banks security, then lots of people have trouble.

For me its not so much about my details being stolen, if you look hard enough on the web you can find anyones details anyway from the thousands of interactions you have online every year. for me its about the ease of use that steam brings. For the service they offer I've had very few issues, where as with services that have been offered historically by EA I have had some problems therefore I'd naturally choose the path of least resistance (or issue) when buying my software. Thats the bit that scares me with Origin, is it going to be as buggered up as previous offerings from EA, will it contain useless and intrusive DRM for the software that I've bought? Will it check with the servers every time I play a game (even if I have a hard copy) and if no connection is available render the software unusable?

If BF3 isn't on steam then I dont think it's going to stop me from buying the game anyway, but it will certainly make me think carefully about getting a hard copy (even though I prefer downloaded games these days as DVD's and boxes take up valuable space in my house).

SUPASTARR

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
im quite upset steam wont get bf3 because i like all my games to be in one place. However i agree with what gally's saying

A

ATestUser72

This is why I have mine on pre-order from Game in the form of a DVD disk in a box :)

Montaigne

New User
I love Steam.

Reasons I love Steam:

Saved games and keys in the cloud
All my games in one place
Not having to **** around with downloading patches for 30 different developers at 30 different sites and dicking around with them when some don't work
Everything available as a simple download
A lot of respect for their titles and their habit of releasing so much free DLC (especially for TF2)
Refunding without any argument
MOst games being on the platform so I don't buy games anywhere else
No need to buy hardcopies and being able to d/l from Steam at up to 6 mbps.

Bodhi

Reg User
There's a fairly simple way to protect yourself against fraud. Just have a dedicated credit card for online purchases with a limited amount of money and no credit. Don't top up until you want to make a couple of buys. Don't matter if they get your card details, can't use it without money being there anyway, and in the slight chance event of it actually happening, you won't lose more than you decide to risk. Then you can just use any online service you want.

:)

Zero

Clan Founder
Staff member
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
I will only part with my cash for BF3 if RO2 is an epic failure.

S

Swifty_Capone

I like feeling a box in my hand...Even if I need to then download 4 gigs through steam to play the game....Errrr hang on.....

WTF!!!!

Anyhow....Disk for me.

In regards to hacks / I have an online credit card. All it would take is 1 phone call to my excellent bank to resolve any issues.

:)

A

ATestUser72

Ditto, but I do like steam save all the icons on desktop or hunting through start menu (I start all games through steam)

You can still use Steam to launch a Non steam game m8, I have 1 icon on my desktop and that is the recycle bin, all games, whether it be steam or not is launched via steam.