Length of round

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!

Vertex1979

New User
Mar 28, 2010
Since B2K came out I've noticed that the rounds on our server are very very short. Last night it was really bugging me. As soon as I got into the swing of things the round would be ending.

In the end I timed a round on Sharqui with the server full, and it lasted just under 10.5 minutes, which is no time at all really.

The cooldown period at the end of the round and the countdown to round start come to just under 1.5 minutes, meaning that nearly 15% of play time is spent not playing! Does anyone else feel this is a problem?

There are two possible solutions: increase the number of tickets or decrease the number of players. A problem is that when the server is not populated well either of these can lead to very long rounds. Can ticket settings be changed on the fly by admins or does this destabilise the server? If it does, another solution could be a combination of less slots and a slightly reduced ticket count to compensate.

TBH I prefer the reduced intensity of a smaller server in any case, as my KDR is usually about 1.5 on a 24 man server and about 0.6 on a 64 man. I must be getting to old to cope with the chaos!

What are people's thoughts?

Bl@ckthorn

Head Admin
Staff member
Recruitment
Tactician
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Oct 27, 2010
Bury England
totaly agree with you when the server is full on B2K i think the tickets could be increased but supper thought this might stop traffic from quick match not coming to our server

Master

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jul 28, 2011
dark side of the moon
yes i have also noticed the rounds are very short as well we could look at increasing tickets what does everyone else think....
Super has a point but i have noticed a few servers running 1200 tickets and they seem full.

But maybe thats to much and the just need upping a little

NePa5

New User
Jul 5, 2010
Leeds, UK
aye the standard tickets is garbage,BUT the main problem is people do not understand what CQA is about,it is not the same as crappy head on,it is a much much "push or die" game mode.Once you get a server full of BF2 vets, the game lasts bloody ages.

EDIT:mad:Master,we run 800 and sometimes that seems not enough lol,only problem is that if the server is quiet,each round lasts a long time which can also put people off.

Lamb

New User
Jul 23, 2011
Stoke
id agree, lets try it at 550 and see what happens from there, i think the default ticket count is around 300 ish we can always +/- if needed , the server does take a while to get it properly populated and usally for the first couple of hour's there is only 20 ish on so the rounds could be a tad to long with a larger ticket count

Nibbles

Donator
Sep 25, 2010
Alot of the servers with ticket counts above 600 seem to fill up quickly. Its probably because there is a good chance to amass points and rank up faster I suppose

massvgorilla

New User
Nov 20, 2011
East London
I'm for less slots and upping tix. Not sure others will agree but I really enjoy our servers with 16 to 32 players. With 64 it's complete chaos and no tactics will save you. My 2c

Also can we drop Wake?? ;)

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
I like the current high number of slots, tbh I don't like to play if there are only 16-24 players in the game. The number of tickets ofcourse could be increased, but in many cases the teams are unbalanced skillwise, and then it's a real pain to wait for the end of the round and for a fresh start. But it's ok, no matter what the decision will be! :)

massvgorilla

New User
Nov 20, 2011
East London
Does the server rebalance teams between maps? I thought you kept to the same team unless you switched? Would be good to have a *shuffle* command to rebalance based on rank or something.

McTavish

Administrator
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Jan 16, 2010
Finland
Sorry, my meaning was a bit misleading. It doesn't rebalance, but after the end of a round some players leave/join, the map changes etc giving in a way a fresh start. Or not, lol.

markysam

New User
May 20, 2011
IMHO, the round length seems subject to team balance more than anything. The quick rounds I've seen in the last few days have all been when one team is reaming the other consistently. Not sure if it's possible, or even popular ( who would want to be split up from mates if they're all playing so they can play together ? ), but balancing skill levels in each map might be a better way of keeping the rounds at a reasonable length. I suspect that might have a negative impact on the server population though :(.

Markysam.

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
there is a "shuffle" plugin thats available if a side get far too over powered

massvgorilla

New User
Nov 20, 2011
East London
Not sure if this is something we want to consider, and as a clan we're pretty good with balancing out the teams. But I've noticed that other clans stick together on the same team, and if they're good they really make for an unfair game. Do we want to consider a "recommendation" that clans try and balance out the teams? This may cause us more trouble than it's worth, but something to think about.