Top Gear... The End?

• Welcome Guest, thank you for visiting The Old Gits Army. Please take a moment to register on our forums to participate.
  • If you are interested in joining us, please register and then visit the Recruitment forum. There you will find a clan application form. Alternatively join us on Team Speak!
Seeing all the news and the auctioning of the last lap around the TG-track. Clarkson's piece of text in the sun, I think TG is now over for good. Hammond and May don't want to film without Clarkson. So, it's basically over.
Even though that the BBC is still looking into the matter, Clarkson kind of resigned already with his rant and column.

I have enjoyed this series for as long as it existed. With the coming of May and Hammond it only got better. I have watched it every week since I was a tiny-git. The last 2.5 years, together with Raneva on the couch.
For me, it's the end of an era. *sob*

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
yer, Ive grown up with Top Gear through all of its incarnations, from a Auto-express type consumer show to the motoring related jape show of the 3 stooges (and I mean that affectionately) which doesn't seem that long ago, but 5th gear is on season 25 with Tiff Nidell started when he got punted.

Truly the end of an era, probable the mag will remain, but for how long?

Over in the UK we will have solace, Dave has TG on daily at all times lol

What im hoping for is all three of them go to sky for a Karl Pilkington type deal, that would work. think TG specials crossed with an idiot abroad or the moaning of life (unmissable Tv imo)

Reactions: coolcon2000

SomeOldGit

Match and social organiser
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
Mar 28, 2010
stevenage
if the BBC get rid of him sky will snap him up

TG is worth £300 million to the bbc the would be idiots to get rid of it

westonwarrior

Clan Leader
Staff member
Recruitment
Anti-Cheat Sqd
Server Admin
TOGA Member
BF2042 admin
News Reporter
Jul 11, 2010
Weston-super-Mare
It may be worth billions to them but they cant ignore a bully and thug.
If they did they would have everybody acting like it, they have a duty of care to all their staff after all.

If they did they would have everybody acting like it, they have a duty of care to all their staff after all.

That's almost exactly my sentiment, but in the end, he just* punched someone, which isn't or shouldn't have to be that big of a thing, even if he got warned before. Which has been absolute nonsense, because director's, camera-personnel and others could have instantly deleted the provocative scenes after a short review, since it's their duty to check them before publishing it.

* I mean, the dude had a split lip. This could be solved with a fine for assault, and maybe some money because the producer couldn't work for a while. Firing JC would be a big loss for a lot of people (think about the vast amount of jobs TG and all it's subsidiaries/companies create).

PS: Yes, I know JC was very wrong on this one, and yes, I also think he shouldn't get fired. There should be a solution that doesn't fire him, but will punish him.

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
agreed, and like it or not, in that kind of position stars have a duty of being role models etc to our public, and behaving accordingly. if this was a one off then it may be looked at differently, but tbh just yet another issue and I fear they will have have to act on it this time. (and should)

I still have a hunch its orchestrated by Clarkson and they are playing the publicity game, sure i read somewhere it was Clarkson that reported the fracas.....the more I think about it the more im wondering when rather than if sky will snap all 3 up on silly money, people would watch them doing pretty much anything I reckon and in their hundreds of millions, it would be a global success.

SpaceMunkeyUK

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Nov 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Yeah, it was Clarkson who reported it, the producer who got hit didn't want to report it from what I read, but he got abuse and death threats. Maybe with all the warnings Clarkson thought it better to go out in a frenzy of media publicity?

Reactions: coolcon2000

waffey73

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 15, 2015
Norfolk

Has it been acknowledged that he punched him? I thought he is supposed to have pushed him rather hard, but as you say a bully should be punished but and a big but can the BBC afford to let him go and if he did go to SKY a lot of people would not be able to follow him that easily.
I think he will be exonerated but I still think TG will not be the same after this.

Mandoscottie

New User
Jan 21, 2012
Forfar, Scotland
Chris evans denied it catergorically on his morning show today, he also said he personally thought it wasnt a good idea and said let end this bad rumour here and now. I quite like chris tbh i listen to him into work, and hes a total petrolhead but even he said the show has the perfect trio as it was. End of.

A shame to see the trio split up though and no clarkson there now, hes a twat but a likeable twat, im sure we will see plenty of him still.

The james may twitter update was worrying today "former tv presenter" :( hope not.

The BBC are right though, sad but true, doubt ill continue watching tbh.

Last edited:
Reactions: six-shooter

waffey73

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jan 15, 2015
Norfolk
They have sacked Clarkson will the other two try it alone or will they all go elsewhere.
Still he did wrong he is punished but will the BBC come off worst in the long term, Who Bloody Knows it's all politics.

SUPASTARR

TOGA MEMBER
TOGA Member
Jul 5, 2010
Krypton
No matter who you are, or how much you earn if you're a bully then you're a sodding tosspot and deserve to lose your job. As much as i like TG and Clarkson and the crew, he was in the wrong.

Tis a shame but tough

oi gunny!

i hear he order and steak lunch and was served cold cuts! To be fair i would have done more than punch the damn fool!

#justsaying